Recipe for Success: Chef Chuck’s Family-Style Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo
I chose this recipe because it was something that my mother used to whip up and I loved it. As I’ve grown up, I’ve enjoyed putting my little spins on it from time to time. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
– Chef Chuck, executive sous chef of Georgia Institute of Technology
Chef Chuck’s Family-Style Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo
- 1 bunch celery (diced leaves and all)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 bunch green onion (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves(finely chopped)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tbsp Cajun seasoning,your choice
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 1 Meat from 1 whole chicken
- 2 cups shrimp (precooked if needbe; I like fresh, and I add mine at the very end)
- 1 package cooked white rice (my family likesbrown rice) for serving
- Make your roux, and sautéyour veggies until translucent in a hot skillet. Then add chicken
- Add your chicken and shrimp.
- At this point, taste it and add moreseasoning to your liking—salt, pepper, more chicken broth—if needed until youreach the perfect flavor.
- Serve warm over rice and ENJOY!
- Note: Roux can be made 3–5 days inadvance. Keep in a Ziploc bag in the fridge.